Foundations of Bioethics (4-Day Program)
We hope you will join us for our 4-day Foundations of Bioethics program - online - from October 11-14th, 2022. Our faculty are well-versed in providing virtual programming and are delighted to engage with you.
This program is intended for those who are interested in ethics as it relates to the clinical setting, research, policy, and law as well as the history and theories of bioethics. The program includes our signature programming which provides an overview of ethical theory, case-based learning, a history of bioethics, an introduction to bioethical principles, theories, and terms, and sessions addressing some of our most pressing global challenges. Please see the program guide.
The program will include (1) live lectures on Zoom (including informal talks about careers and Masters programs within bioethics) and (2) an asynchronous curriculum on Canvas with short video lectures and small-group discussion forums,.
At the conclusion of this four-day program, participants will be able to answer:
- What is bioethics, and what is ethical theory?
- What are the main principles, concepts, and common terms in bioethics?
- What methods, frameworks, and arguments are commonly used in bioethics?
- What are some of the most pressing issues in bioethics today?
Participants & faculty often hail from all corners of the globe, from Addis Ababa to Montreal, Lima to Adelaide, and Strasbourg to Tehran - and represent medicine, law, philosophy, chaplaincy, and other related fields. Participants include graduate students, professionals, and undergraduate students.
Recent attendees include clinicians, legal scholars, students, nurses, social workers, chaplains, public health officials, and professors from all corners of the globe, including Ukraine, Japan, China, Serbia, Canada, the US, Turkey, Australia, the US, Canada, New Zealand, Czech Republic, Spain, and Brazil.
To request registration in the program, please click here.
Our 2022 program guide will be posted soon. Please see here for the schedule of live events (3-4 per day), offered between 9 am and 5 pm ET. In 2022, our live sessions are not required. The online work includes brief, engaging lectures and small-group discussions.
Level of Effort & Timelines
Each day, participants will listen to online lectures and engage in related online discussion forums. Participants can choose to attend a daily live session about the online material, and can attend additional live lectures if they wish. We will keep the portal open for 2-3 weeks after the program in case you would like to revisit any of the materials.
Continuing Education Credits
Continuing Education credits (ACCMEs) will not be provided in 2022.
Participants must be highly comfortable with Zoom and online learning platforms. Attendees include undergraduate students, graduate students, and professionals with interests in bioethics (including clinical ethics, research ethics, and public health ethics). No previous knowledge of bioethics is expected or required, and all lectures assume no previous knowledge of philosophy or medicine.
- Special Reduced Program Fees only for 2022: $400 (students) and $550 (professionals)
- The student rate is only for current full-time students, and we may ask for documentation.
- Yale affiliates are eligible for reduced rates; please use your Yale email during registration.
- 75% of the program fee is refunded if withdrawal notification is received within 2 months;
- 50% of the program fee is refunded if withdrawal notification is received 20 days before the program start date;
- Otherwise, no refund can be offered.
To discuss whether the program is a good fit for you, or to ask any other questions, contact Lori Bruce, Program Director, and her program staff, at bioethics@Yale.edu.